Friday, June 14, 2013

13.1

On May 18, 2013, I accomplished a major goal of mine. Back in October I had a friend ask me if I wanted to run the Ogden Canyon Marathon with her. Since I had never run more than three miles in my life, I thought she was crazy. But, she got me thinking. I decided right then and there that I was going to run a half marathon. Why not, right? At the time, I was just a stay at home mom. No school. No work. Just baby. I had no idea what kind of dedication it would take to train. Soon after that I started school again, and started a new job. Training became incredibly difficult, especially since the only time I was able to go run was at night, and I was exhausted by the time night rolled around. I stuck to it though. Training was physically, emotionally, and mentally exhausting.

 By May 18 the most that I had run was 9 miles. It just kinda happened that way. Nervous? Oh you bet ya! But I did it! My momma and I did it! And who better to do it with than my momma? That night of sleep before the race was probably some of the worst I have ever had. My mom and I were both so nervous that we would sleep through our alarm, lol. We woke up at 4:00 am and headed out to the buses, which would take us up the canyon where the race started. Guys. It was pouring rain. Pouring! Not just sprinkling, but pouring. The. whole. race. We were soaked to the bone! We totally ran the majority of the race. Now that, I was proud of. And when we crossed the finish line? You better believe we balled our eyes out. And the next few days, we couldn't even walk. It was so worth it though! 

I learned something about myself. Something huge. I can do hard things. I can accomplish goals. I can do anything I set my mind to. And just like that, I became a half marathon runner. 

No comments: